Ghent, Belgium – January 17, 2017
PharmaFluidics NV, a game-changing innovator in the field of analytical chromatography, announced today that it has raised 2.7 million euro of additional funding.
The funding was subscribed by a consortium of PharmaFluidics’ existing shareholders, new investors and management. Shareholders include Qbic Arkiv Fund, the Flemish investment company PMV, Theodorus Fund, Innovation Fund and Volksvermogen.
The funds will be used to expand the company’s team and efforts to commercialize its proprietary µPAC™ micro-chip based chromatography cartridges for use in biomarker, diagnostics and drug R&D applications worldwide.
Johan Devenyns, Managing Director PharmaFluidics: “Today, our µPAC™ cartridges already convincingly outperform state-of-the-art nano-LC columns currently used, as demonstrated by a variety of real-life proteomics, metabolomics and lipidomics lab analysis tests. Our micro-chip based chromatography cartridges provide substantial added value and time savings potential for biomarker and bio-similar developers. The renewed commitment of shareholders confirms their trust in the technology and potential of the company and team, associates and advisors”.
The key expertise and IP portfolio include the design, lithographic production, and surface treatment of silicon wafers for use as separation devices in liquid chromatography. PharmaFluidics collaborates with an extensive network of Centers of Excellence and pioneer users to develop an increasing range of applications.
+ 32 9 241 56 10
Ann Van Gysel – Turnstone Communications
+32 9 218 71 97
PharmaFluidics develops molecular separation devices with an unprecedented resolution and extreme user-friendliness and robustness. The PharmaFluidics’ µPAC™ micro-chip based chromatography cartridges allow to identify substantially more compounds in complex biological samples, including biopsies, proteome digests, culture media or bio-pharmaceutical actives.
PharmaFluidics was founded as a spin-off of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) in 2010. A decade of top-level academic research by Professors Gert Desmet and Wim De Malsche and their team at the VUB department of Chemical Engineering (CHIS) provided a head-start in transforming the concept from academic research to a commercial product for a broad range of pioneers and users in the global biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry.
More info: www.pharmafluidics.com
Qbic is an interuniversity seed and venture capital fund that invests in start-ups exploiting knowledge developed at the universities UGent, VUB and UAntwerpen, their associated colleges and university hospitals, and VITO. The fund has a capital of EUR 40.7 million and supports young companies both financially and with hands-on guidance. Qbic ARKIV Fund is a joint initiative with ARKimedes Fund II.
More info: www.qbic.be
PMV is a do and dare company that shapes the economic future of Flanders. PMV finances promising companies from the very start to growth and internationalization. PMV offers tailor-made financial solutions for every entrepreneur with a solid business plan and a strong management team, by providing venture capital, loans and guarantees. An experienced and highly motivated team of 120 professionals endeavors every day to achieve the goal of creating prosperity and well-being in Flanders. By the end of 2016, PMV had a portfolio of about EUR 1 billion in assets under management.
More info: www.pmv.eu
About Theodorus Fund
Theodorus is a spin-off fund from the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB), focusing on seed and early stage financing. Theodorus III was created in 2013, with more than EUR 20 million under management of which part can be invested in non-ULB spin-offs. Key success factors are a thorough selection and an intense hands-on coaching of the participations from inception to exit.
More info: www.theodorus.be
About Innovation Fund
Created in February 2015, the Innovation Fund invests in innovative startups and companies active in the field of chemistry and life sciences. The fund has a capital of EUR 20 million, financed for more than 70% by major companies of the sector such as Total, Solvay, BASF, Sioen, Recticel, Ravago, Arkema, Sioen, Recticel, Soudal…, bringing unique industrial support value to the invested projects. The remaining 30% are held by national and regional investment funds, KULeuven and ING. Today, the Innovation Fund has already invested in 7 companies.
More info: www.innovationfund.eu
Volksvermogen is an investment company with headquarters in Ghent (Belgium) and one of the reference shareholders of VDK Spaarbank. It also invests in two specific areas. In the social economy sector, aiming at an optimum combination of financial and social return, and in innovative companies offering sustainable perspectives. Volksvermogen also supports projects generating a social surplus value.
More info: www.volksvermogen.be